Freelancing for art

Neuron Games activity blog.

Moderators: Randell of Neuron, Cathy of Neuron

Freelancing for art

PostPosted by Randell of Neuron » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:47 am

As many of you know, I have been a software engineer for more than 20 years now. I was lucky enough to intern and learn to program at Symbios Logic, which is now LSI. It is a semiconductor manufacture. At a company that made storage hardware which meant we wrote a lot of code in assembly and had to fit it all on 32k or 64k Non-Volatile RAM. Needless to say you get pretty good at writing application software after making device drivers and BIOS code that has a 0% tolerance for bugs.

It was even then that I would draw pictures on people's white boards for amusement. After about 6 months there, I noticed that people didn't go to the art department when they wanted a new logo, or an icon, or a UI interface designed...they ended up in my cubical...and I loved doing it.

As time went by I got better and better at computer graphics and kept up on the bleeding edge of it all. I even went to work at CrosStor to design the entire NAS / SAN OS interface for their products which later was bought out by EMC resulting in everyone being laid off. So I took my savings and started Neuron Games! Which is where you are now. :P

I have grown significantly in the graphics arena since 2001 when I started it all. I went from making hand drawn sprites a pixel at a time in PCX format (obsolete) in Deluxe Paint to where I model and render everything in ZBrush, 3DS Max and Composite using Toxic (The composite tools used for Avatar).

As time has gone by I've gotten older (yeah it works like that) :D I love Neuron a lot, but I've been finding myself doing more and more freelance 3D work than Neuron work. Not to mention that when you make a game, it is a crap shoot. You either make millions that year, or you make nothing...it causes a great deal of stress that I am not all together happy to deal with anymore.

So I am moving Neuron to a hobby status and going to do what I love more than anything 3D modeling, texturing, rigging, lighting, animating and rendering. I've decided to use join the Toptal Graphic designers community to try and find me the jobs instead of scouring the planet for them myself or waiting for them to find me. :) I'll let you know how this goes.
Randell the awesome
Neuron Games, Inc.

Image Image Image Image
Randell of Neuron

Return to Blog